On 28 March 1954 it planted  the first stone of the camp nou

On 28 March 1954 it planted the first stone of the Camp Nou

On 28 March 1954 it planted the first stone of the Camp Nou

Published:28/03/2014 - 09:29h

Updated:

Tickets for FC Barcelona matches

The first stone that did serve for the construction of the Camp Nou, on 28 March 1954, is the same that used in the field The Courts. This piece of the history of the Club can visit at present in the Museum of the FC Barcelona, in a space stood out

The first step in firm for the construction of the current Camp Nou produced in September of 1950, when the then president Agustí Montal Galobart signed an option of purchase on terrains of the zone of the Maternitat, that did effective two months afterwards. But it did not go until two years and half after it put hands to the work. The new president Francesc Looked-Sans was an acérrimo defender of the fast construction of the new stadium and one of the first things that decided (18 February 1954) was emplazar the future stadium in the terrains purchased in 1950 and no in the final stretch of the Diagonal. Like this, on 28 March (today it does 60 years) in front of a crowd of 60.000 barcelonistas, planted the first stone of the Camp Nou, under the presidency of the civil governor Felipe Acedo Colunga and with the blessing of the archbishop of Barcelona, Gregorio Modrego.

This first stone is situated now in the Museum of the FC Barcelona, in the centre of the first flat, that is where expose pieces that symbolise the continuity of the club: the memorial posters of the anniversaries and a first very interesting stone. A curious and surprising piece, because seldom the museums do not show any first stone, that is an object that is used to to remain very buried at the bottom of the terrain where heaves some building or does some important work. And even more, because the one who can contemplate has done this function in two different occasions.

Of Them Corts to the Camp Nou

It treats of what initially was the first stone of the field of the Corts, buried solemnly by Joan Gamper on 19 February 1922 in the start of the construction of the cathedral barcelonista. But curiously, this first stone also was used with identical function on 28 March 1954 with the first works of the Camp Nou, during the presidency of Francesc Looked-Sans.

This circumstance explains because the symbolic stone appeared in the surface when doing some works in the old field of Them Corts, and years later the leaders of the Club thought that the best utility that could have was to convert it again in seed of the Camp Nou. Therefore they recorded his new date in the back face, and buried it. But the vicisitudes of the already historical stone did not finish here, so that in some works in the Camp Nou the stone reappeared again to the surface. Already it sees that it is an object that does not want to remain hid and that demands a privileged paper in the imaginary Barcelona. Therefore today it occupies a place of privilege in the heart of the Museum, like self-evident signal of the continuity of the Club. It is, definitely, an emblematic piece and capital.

Next match of FC Barcelona

Champions League | Jornada 1
FC Barcelona
Ferencvaros

FC Barcelona - Ferencvaros

Tuesday, 20 of October of 2020 21:00h
Estadio Camp Nou
Calendar FC Barcelona
Today highlights

Most read