FIRST FOOTBALLER IN CONQUERING IT
Messi gets in a long list of stars that won the Laureus Award
Published:18/02/2020 - 12:54h
Updated:18/02/2020 - 14:30h
Leo Messi became on Monday the first footballer to win the Laureus Award. The argentinian will get in a long list of stars who lifted the trophy for the best athlete of the year
Leo Messi received this Monday the Laureus to the best sportsman of the year, that confirms that this has been an excellent campaign to individual level. The captain of the FC Barcelona conquered LaLiga and the Supercopa of Spain with his team, but shot also in the Pichichi and the Boot of Gold and his glorious performance planted him like second in the award to the best player of the UEFA and first in the FIFA The Best and the Balloon of Gold.
The one of Rosario is the first footballer in topping in the known as 'Óscar' of the world of the sport, although it could not give a bathroom of masses in the celebrated gala in Berlin because had a commitment in another event. Faithful to his appointment, this yes, left a video for the assistants in which it underlined the big honour that supposes this recognition and appreciated it to the academy, to his mates, to his family and to his followers.
To do an idea of the dimension of the prize only is necessary to observe to the competitors of the Barcelona, that in this category were the athlete Eliud Kipchoge, the golfista Tiger Woods, the tennist Rafael Nadal, the champion of motorcycling Marc Márquez and the pilot of Formula 1 Lewis Hamilton. In this full list of carats, triumphs and quality imposed the Argentinian, although for the first time in the history, with a peculiarity.
The '10' will share the statuette with the champion of the world of F1, that tieed up this season his sixth entorchado. To date, never it had produced a tie, but the one of Stevenage, to his 35 years, neither has tired to shine, and many consider that it is deserved winner of this trophy. In feminine category himself attained to impose in solitary the gimnasta artistic American Simone Biles.
The complete relation of rewarded in all the editions plants to Messi beside numerous historical sportsmen, that have left footprint in his respective specialitys. Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams, Roger Federer, Usain Bolt, Missy Franklin, Vivian Cheruiyot, Rafael Nadal, Lindsey Vonn, Yelena Isinbayeva, Sebastian Vettel, Jessica Ennis, Justine Henin, Janica Kostelic, Kelly Holmes, Michael Schumacher, Annika Sörenstam, Lance Armstrong, Jennifer Capriati, Tiger Woods, Cathy Freeman and Marion Jones are the rest of awarded.
The list of winners of the Prize Laureus
- 2020: Leo Messi and Lewis Hamilton, Simone Biles
- 2019: Novak Djokovic, Simone Biles
- 2018: Roger Federer, Serena Williams
- 2017: Usain Bolt, Simone Biles
- 2016: Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams
- 2015: Novak Djokovic, Serena Williams
- 2014: Sebastian Vettel, Missy Franklin
- 2013: Usain Bolt, Jessica Ennis
- 2012: Novak Djokovic, Vivian Cheruiyot
- 2011: Rafael Nadal, Lindsey Vonn
- 2010: Usain Bolt, Serena Williams
- 2009: Usain Bolt, Yelena Isinbáyeva
- 2008: Roger Federer, Justine Henin
- 2007: Roger Federer, Yelena Isinbáyeva
- 2006: Roger Federer, Janica Kostelic
- 2005: Roger Federer, Kelly Holmes
- 2004: Michael Schumacher, Annika Sörenstam
- 2003: Lance Armstrong, Serena Williams
- 2002: Michael Schumacher, Jennifer Capriati
- 2001: Tiger Woods, Cathy Freeman
- 2000: Tiger Woods, Marion Jones